Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mother's Day - hype or humbug?

Mother's Day 2013 rolled by, it was my second one after achieving "MoM" (Mother of Multiples) status. Last year when Mother's Day came by,  my body was still raging with post-partum hormones,  I was still trying to stay afloat and be a "good" mom, fight mommy-guilt, and enjoy my newborns in the few hours of the day that they would keep their eyes open, so when the spouse brought me a beautiful bunch of red roses, I gladly accepted them and felt pretty proud!
My mom however, warned me several  years ago, against joining in on the Mother's Day hoopla! She didn't think much of this day, and believed that kids who only remembered to acknowledge their moms on one Hallmark-created celebration day in a year, were rather ungrateful. Well then, mom, thanks for solving the what-to-do-for-mom-on-Mothers'-Day problem for me!
This year, as the day arrived, and as I found myself so much more capable of thinking and pondering ( the wonders that more than 2 hours of sleep a night can do to you!), I couldn't help but wonder what Mother's Day really meant for me as a mom.
I certainly felt so grateful for having the opportunity to be a mom, I've had so much fun playing silly games, spotting squirrels, making messy finger-paintings and so much more with my kids! But, I'm still not buying the deification of mothers! Yes, we work our asses off, and still feel privileged about having the opportunity to do so at the end of a long day, but I do believe that we deserve to be treated well and pampered more often than once a year! I'd like my kids to grow up feeling loved and secure, and know that mom and dad will always be there, the doors of our home will always be open for them, but I'd like them to practice the art of showing gratitude and appreciation because they feel it from within, and not because all the TV and shopping window advertisements are asking them to! I'm also lucky in that my partner-in-parenting, the husband, is very hands-on and involved, every single day. He certainly makes brunch for us more than once a year, and I'd most certainly not like to wait for that one day in a year to feel loved and pampered!
In the spirit of Tto each their own, I'm more than glad  to wish moms who do believe in celebrating Mother's Day a Happy one, regardless of what my expectations are for myself.
Life is too short to not enjoy every moment of every day, isn't it?



1 comment:

dipali said...

Absolutely! Came here from OJ's blog.