Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Once upon a time, I thought being a good mom meant creating a secure, loving environment for my kids, providing them healthy meals, and keeping them somewhat entertained and occupied.
Once I found out I was pregnant, that picture changed, and so drastically. Thanks to an explosion in the amount of information that is out there via books, internet, social media, blogs, etc today's mom can truly get inundated with choices! I have not really adapted any parenting philosophy, but have vowed to raise socially conscious, well mannered kids who don't waltz around with a sense of entitlement.
It was Birthday party time in our home recently! Coming from a large South Asian family, we're used to celebrating every small event was celebrated in grandeur, and are continuing to do so with out children's milestones and events too.
We've now had the pleasure of celebrating two birthdays and I must say our home can pass off for a medium sized toy store! We must have atleast 500 cars in all sizes - small, medium large, ride along, etc. A large pretend-kitchen that gives me a complex about my real one. Slides/climbers/play tents/tunnels/water table. Atleast 200 books. Blocks - Lego, Mega Blocks, wooden blocks in various sizes and shapes. Art supplies - enough for a pre-school class. The list goes on, but you get the point.
So this year, along with our Birthday invite, we requested "no presents". There was also a link to a charity that we hold close to our heart ( March of Dimes) and requested for donations to be made there. We did however buy the kids some gifts - fancy balance bikes, new clothes,etc.
I felt all chuffed about being a good mom who's raising kids who know the value of what they have, not surrounded by excesses, etc. Alas! Many of the guests who came completely ignored my plea and brought us more stuff than would fit in our car trunks and we had to request friends to help carry them home! While I do not want to deny my kids the joy of having presents for their special party day, I am at a loss as to how I can teach them value for money, value for what they have, waiting for what they want and not getting it instantly, etc!
What are your tips and tricks for that?



No comments: